**The posts we write might contain affiliate links or be written in collaboration with businesses or brands. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.**
Guest post from Dr. Kristel Schamber of Lake Area Eyecare in Baxter, one of Up North Parent’s Sponsors.
Eyes or eyelids dry, red or irritated?
Your makeup or other products you use around your eyes could be the culprit.
I had issues with red irritated eyes and have changed my makeup products and cleansers and this has made a big difference.
General Guidelines for Avoiding Unhappy, Itchy Eyes
- Never to go bed with makeup on and avoid eye makeup remover with alcohol in it. Makeup attracts more bacteria on the lids which can lead to infections and styes. I recommend We Love Eyes makeup remover. It is made from tea tree oil, grape seed oil, and jojoba oil.
- Do not apply eyeliner on the lid margin. This is where the oil glands release the oil. Eye make up can clog these glands. If you choose to wear eyeliner, apply below the lower lash line on the lower lids and above the lash line on the upper lids.
- Avoid waterproof mascara.
- Be careful when things say “natural” ingredients or “hypoallergenic”. It doesn’t mean the ingredients might not be potentially harmful. Buy from companies who are committed to producing products with less harmful ingredients such as Beauty Counter.
- Avoid these harmful ingredients: sodium laureth sulfates, phenoxyethanol, Retin-A, BAK, formaldehyde, DMDM-hydantoin, quaternium-15, imidazolidnyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, bromo-w-nitropropane-1-3-diol, and parabens.
- Be aware that procedures such as Botox can cause the eye muscles to not function appropriately causing an incomplete blink and dry eye.
- Avoid tattooed eyeliner. It can damage oil-producing glands in the eyelids.
- Avoid lash extensions. The ingredients in the glue can be harmful. They also create an abnormally open eye for more debris to get into. Also, lash boost serums can be irritating to the eyes.
- Tell your eye doctor about any medications and supplements you are taking as they may have ocular side effects.
There are, of course, many other causes to dry, red and irritated eyes.
The “We Love Eyes” Eyecare Solution
Since the Lakes Area Eyecare team knows that itchy eyes can be a frustrating problem, we’ve taken the steps to bring in some very special products to help the Lakes Area residents show their eyelashes some love.
We Love Eyes All Natural Tea Tree Eyelid Foaming Cleanser/Wash is a gentle way to reduce itching and Inflammation in the eyelash area.
This 100% Tea Tree oil product works to reduce bacteria and Demodex mites to reduce red, itchy, irritated eyelid symptoms. This foaming cleanser will soothe your symptoms by gently washing away dirt, allergens, and makeup residue.
We also love that it is safe to use when eyelash extensions are applied. The specially formulated foaming cleanser is tough on dirt and makeup, and gentle on your eyelids, keeping your expensive lash extensions happy and comfortable.
Sleeping in your eye makeup is a dirty habit and also a common source of eyelid inflammation. This gentle, all natural eye makeup remover to remove stubborn eyeliner & mascara. Even the waterproof stuff!
100% VEGAN, 100% CRUELTY-FREE too!
Stop by our location on 7734 Excelsior Road in Baxter, MN for a demonstration of We Love Eyes Eyecare products and all of your eye-related needs.