**The posts we write might contain affiliate links or be written in collaboration with businesses or brands. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.**
(Guest post by Dr. Kristel Schamber of Lakes Area Eyecare of Baxter)
Eye strain, blurry vision, headaches, dry eye and neck strain are all symptoms related to Computer Vision Syndrome or Digital Eye Strain. I suffer from all of these symptoms as I am on a digital device about 10 hours/day, like most people these days. I also recently turned 40!
These symptoms are caused by uncorrected vision problems, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, presbyopia (aging changes of the eye) and eye coordination. Even minor problems can lead to significant problems. Also, people who already wear prescription eyewear or contacts may find that their prescription is not suitable for the specific viewing distance on their computer. Our little eye muscles get tired out from focusing and refocusing all day long. Symptoms get worse after the age of 40 but can happen at any age.
Digital Eye Strain can also be caused by poor lighting, glare from screens, improper ergonomics and poor posture. People will sometimes tilt their head at odd angles to see their monitor causing neck, shoulder and back strain.
Tips to Minimize Your Symptoms of Computer Vision Syndrome:
- Utilize proper ergonomics.
- Measure the distance from your eyes to your computer monitor and paperwork. Give these measurements to your eye doctor for specially designed eyewear. This comes in single vision, bifocal or progressive designs depending on your needs.
- Reduce glare from screen and windows. Get anti-glare coating on your lenses.
- Take a break from computer work every 20 minutes.
- Blink more often and treat underlying dry eye. We don’t blink as often while staring at devices which can exacerbate dry eye symptoms. Wear eyewear at the computer instead of contact lens as contact lenses can contribute to dry eye as well.
When I see people back after getting their computer eyewear, they often tell me it’s the best thing they have done and found they are less tired at the end of the day.
At Lakes Area Eyecare we can address all of your vision symptoms, prescribe a solution for your individual needs and help you enjoy your view!
Lakes Area Eyecare strives to help their patients “enjoy their view” of the world by providing them with the best eye care experience and service possible. They do this using the latest technology in the eye care industry and their compassionate and experienced team is committed to providing excellence with every patient interaction. Lakes Area Eyecare does business with loyalty, honesty, and integrity while providing customers with outstanding personal customer service. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Kristel Schamber or Dr. Brooke Fenstad today and start enjoying your view!